Search called off for Nomuka fishermen

The search for the three family members from Nomuka who went missing while on a fishing trip on July 30 has been formally suspended after 5 days of searching.

'Elone Taulafo went missing while fishing with his son Sione Filipe Taulafo and his son-in-law Sofele Folau early Thursday last week.

Over the last five days, there have been three extensive searches over the Ha’apai waters but to no avail.

The  New Zealand Air Force P3 Orion search plane sent out to look for signs of the fishermen has made no sightings of their boat or debris.

During the searches locals assisted a navy vessel of the Tongan HMAF with members of the police tactical response team as well as assistance from the Rescue Coordination Centre in Suva.

Police Commissioner, Grant O'Fee said families have been told the search operation has been called off.  

Sometimes when a business is growing, it needs a little help.

Right now Kaniva News provides a free, politically independent, bilingual news service for readers around the world that is absolutely unique. We are the largest New Zealand-based Tongan news service, and our stories reach Tongans  wherever they are round the world. But as we grow, there are increased demands on Kaniva News for translation into Tongan on our social media accounts and for the costs associated with expansion. We believe it is important for Tongans to have their own voice and for Tongans to preserve their language, customs and heritage. That is something to which we are strongly committed. That’s why we are asking you to consider sponsoring our work and helping to preserve a uniquely Tongan point of view for our readers and listeners.

Latest news

Related news