Over 60 Tupou college students sickened after eating food at funeral

Sixty two students from Tupou College needed medical assistance with some of them were hospitalised and put on IV drips after they forced themselves to eat stale food after attending a funeral service in Tongatapu Thursday 6.

The details of the food eaten were not available but it was alleged it included hot-dogs that were cooked without removing their plastic bags.

Dr Seventeen Toumoʻua from Vaiola hospital, however, said they interviewed the victims, who were all members of the school’s brass band, and found out the students knew the food was stale but they forced themselves to eat it because they were hungry, Radio & Television Tonga reported.

Dr Toumoʻua said 15 of the students admitted to hospital were in critical but stable condition and health officials continued to monitor them. They were taken blood test and received intravenous fluid, he said.

Dr.  Toumoʻua said symptoms included vomiting, abdominal pain, diarrhea and weakness.

We emailed the principal of the school but have not received any response.

Sometimes when a business is growing, it needs a little help.

Right now Kaniva News provides a free, politically independent, bilingual news service for readers around the world that is absolutely unique. We are the largest New Zealand-based Tongan news service, and our stories reach Tongans  wherever they are round the world. But as we grow, there are increased demands on Kaniva News for translation into Tongan on our social media accounts and for the costs associated with expansion. We believe it is important for Tongans to have their own voice and for Tongans to preserve their language, customs and heritage. That is something to which we are strongly committed. That’s why we are asking you to consider sponsoring our work and helping to preserve a uniquely Tongan point of view for our readers and listeners.

Latest news

Related news