Dwelling house in Vava’u burned to ground

PHOTO: A house burned to the ground last week  at Holonga, Vavaʻu. Photo/Supplied

A dwelling house in Holonga, Vavaʻu burned to the ground Thursday night May 7.

Police Superintendent Nētane Falakiseni told Kaniva News the blaze was sparked by an electrical fault.

The firefighters arrived but the house has already collapsed and was completely destroyed by the fire, Falakiseni said.

The weather quickly spread the fire all over the house, he added.

The house belonged to a person by the name Taani ‘Uhila but was occupied by Samiu Fotuʻaika of Talihau and his family.

The was no report of injuries.

Sometimes when a business is growing, it needs a little help.

Right now Kaniva News provides a free, politically independent, bilingual news service for readers around the world that is absolutely unique. We are the largest New Zealand-based Tongan news service, and our stories reach Tongans  wherever they are round the world. But as we grow, there are increased demands on Kaniva News for translation into Tongan on our social media accounts and for the costs associated with expansion. We believe it is important for Tongans to have their own voice and for Tongans to preserve their language, customs and heritage. That is something to which we are strongly committed. That’s why we are asking you to consider sponsoring our work and helping to preserve a uniquely Tongan point of view for our readers and listeners.

Latest news

Related news