Haveluliku fire that killed boy likely caused by candles

A fire that killed a 7 year-old boy on Wednesday night in Haveluliku was likely caused by candles the family used because the house they live in has no power connection.

Police in Tonga said the Lapaha Emergency and Fire Services responded to a blaze at around 8.30pm Wednesday 15, Tongan Radio 87.5 FM reported.

The child, whose identity was not released, was an adopted son of his grandparents who own the house, the radio said.

The grandparents attended a village fundraising concert while the victim was staying in the house.

It was believed the boy was sleeping while the fire happened.

The grandmother was reported as saying they put out the candle before they left for the concert.

Sometimes when a business is growing, it needs a little help.

Right now Kaniva News provides a free, politically independent, bilingual news service for readers around the world that is absolutely unique. We are the largest New Zealand-based Tongan news service, and our stories reach Tongans  wherever they are round the world. But as we grow, there are increased demands on Kaniva News for translation into Tongan on our social media accounts and for the costs associated with expansion. We believe it is important for Tongans to have their own voice and for Tongans to preserve their language, customs and heritage. That is something to which we are strongly committed. That’s why we are asking you to consider sponsoring our work and helping to preserve a uniquely Tongan point of view for our readers and listeners.

Latest news

Related news