House fire breaks out on New Year’s day in Vavaʻu

The occupants of a house in Veitatalo in Neiafu, Vavaʻu escaped unharmed from a blaze which caused significant damage to a building owned by a local businessman.

The cause of the fire which erupted at about 4am this morning Friday, January 1, 2016 has yet to be officially determined.

Fire
First house fire of 2016 in Vavaʻu. Photo/Latu Niua Lepolo

A correspondent in Vavaʻu however told Kaniva News it was alleged the fire started after one of the occupants fell asleep leaving food he was cooking on the stove unattended.

The owner of the house, ʻIsi Lutui Fakatulolo operates a bakery and it was not immediately clear whether or not it was affected by the fire.

Emergency Service authority in Vavaʻu could not be reached for comments.

Sometimes when a business is growing, it needs a little help.

Right now Kaniva News provides a free, politically independent, bilingual news service for readers around the world that is absolutely unique. We are the largest New Zealand-based Tongan news service, and our stories reach Tongans  wherever they are round the world. But as we grow, there are increased demands on Kaniva News for translation into Tongan on our social media accounts and for the costs associated with expansion. We believe it is important for Tongans to have their own voice and for Tongans to preserve their language, customs and heritage. That is something to which we are strongly committed. That’s why we are asking you to consider sponsoring our work and helping to preserve a uniquely Tongan point of view for our readers and listeners.

Latest news

Related news