Navutoka man dies after mistakenly drinking toxic chemical

UPDATED: A 62-year-old man from Navutoka died in hospital after he mistakenly drank a highly toxic chemical thinking it was his medication.

Mateni Topui  was hospitalised as a result of the poison for about a week at Vaiola hospital before he died on Monday 4.

A medical officer said the toxic chemical was classified under weedkillers and it is deadly if consumed by human being.

Sometimes when a business is growing, it needs a little help.

Right now Kaniva News provides a free, politically independent, bilingual news service for readers around the world that is absolutely unique. We are the largest New Zealand-based Tongan news service, and our stories reach Tongans  wherever they are round the world. But as we grow, there are increased demands on Kaniva News for translation into Tongan on our social media accounts and for the costs associated with expansion. We believe it is important for Tongans to have their own voice and for Tongans to preserve their language, customs and heritage. That is something to which we are strongly committed. That’s why we are asking you to consider sponsoring our work and helping to preserve a uniquely Tongan point of view for our readers and listeners.

Latest news

Related news