ʻEua man dies of possible electrocution

A 52-year-old ʻEua man died Thursday following a possible electrocution at his Taʻanga residence.

The man returned from sea before the incident happened after 8pm, police said.

He and his family were preparing their evening meal in a kitchen outside their house.

The deceased was working on an extension power cord to connect a 4ft electric fluorescent tube light into the kitchen, Police Communication Officer Telēsia Adams told Kaniva News.

The victim’s  daughter told Police the tube light was not working and while his father was trying to fix it she heard something falling. She ran outside to check and she saw her father lying on the floor with the light tube on top of him.

The man died at the scene but he was taken to hospital, Adams said.

This comes after a 42-year-old mother of three, Mele Lausiva Felemi Manu died at Tupou College on Tuesday after she tried to disconnect an electric power cord outide her house.

Sometimes when a business is growing, it needs a little help.

Right now Kaniva News provides a free, politically independent, bilingual news service for readers around the world that is absolutely unique. We are the largest New Zealand-based Tongan news service, and our stories reach Tongans  wherever they are round the world. But as we grow, there are increased demands on Kaniva News for translation into Tongan on our social media accounts and for the costs associated with expansion. We believe it is important for Tongans to have their own voice and for Tongans to preserve their language, customs and heritage. That is something to which we are strongly committed. That’s why we are asking you to consider sponsoring our work and helping to preserve a uniquely Tongan point of view for our readers and listeners.

Latest news

Related news