Vaiola hospital partially evacuated after electrical fault and explosion

UPDATED: Laboratory operations at Vaiola hospital this afternoon were disrupted after an inflammable acid allegedly spilled into an electric socket in the lab causing an electrical short-circuit at around 4pm.

Patients in the area had to be evacuated after a “small explosion” was heard.

A spokesperson for the hospital told Kaniva News  the fault caused damages to the electrical wiring system at the histology lab and a room at the operating theatre but was brought under control before fire fighters arrived.

No injury was reported and the operations have been returning to normal, he said.

Sometimes when a business is growing, it needs a little help.

Right now Kaniva News provides a free, politically independent, bilingual news service for readers around the world that is absolutely unique. We are the largest New Zealand-based Tongan news service, and our stories reach Tongans  wherever they are round the world. But as we grow, there are increased demands on Kaniva News for translation into Tongan on our social media accounts and for the costs associated with expansion. We believe it is important for Tongans to have their own voice and for Tongans to preserve their language, customs and heritage. That is something to which we are strongly committed. That’s why we are asking you to consider sponsoring our work and helping to preserve a uniquely Tongan point of view for our readers and listeners.


Latest news

Related news