Kelikao man burnt in blaze which costs his family thousands

A 36-year-old Houmakelikao man was hospitalised after a fire that costs his family thousands ripped through their house destroying one vehicle on Saturday 27 at about 5am.

He was admitted to hospital with “minor” burns to his head, arm and hands, a Fire Service spokesman said.

It is understood the man was trying to bring his three children and his wife outside from the fire.

The house was well alight when the Fire fighters arrived.

Damages were estimated at $51,000 after the fire erupted at 4.48am, the spokesperson said.

A vehicle was destroyed in the blaze while another was saved, he said.

It is also understood the man had been discharged from hospital.

The cause of the fire was “undetermined” and fire safety officers were investigating how the blaze started.

Sometimes when a business is growing, it needs a little help.

Right now Kaniva News provides a free, politically independent, bilingual news service for readers around the world that is absolutely unique. We are the largest New Zealand-based Tongan news service, and our stories reach Tongans  wherever they are round the world. But as we grow, there are increased demands on Kaniva News for translation into Tongan on our social media accounts and for the costs associated with expansion. We believe it is important for Tongans to have their own voice and for Tongans to preserve their language, customs and heritage. That is something to which we are strongly committed. That’s why we are asking you to consider sponsoring our work and helping to preserve a uniquely Tongan point of view for our readers and listeners.

Latest news

Related news