One drowning and five missing in Fiji as Cyclone Ana hits

This story originally appeared on RNZ.co.nz and is republished with permission

Fiji’s disaster authorities have reported at least one casualty associated with Cyclone Ana.

In a statement, the National Disaster Management Office said a 49 year old man had drowned.

No caption

Photo: FIJI NDMO

The NDMO also said there were five people missing including a three year boy from Lautoka who hasn’t been seen since Saturday.

The other four were fishermen who had gone out earlier in the week as the storm developed, two from Cikobia, Vanua Levu and the others from near Suva.

The category two cyclone has crossed over the capital of Suva this afternoon but brought extensive flooding to both Viti Levu and Vanua Levu over the past 24 hours with the Rewa River the latest major waterway to burst its banks.

The storm, with average winds near its centre of 100km/hr and gusts of up to 140 km/hr, also downed trees and destroyed crops across large parts of the country.

There have also been significant power outages.

However the Director of the NDMO, Vasiti Soko, said there were still reports of people not being cautious.

“We are in the midst of a cyclone with widespread flooding throughout the country, yet we continue to receive reports of members of the public, adults and children alike wandering around,” she said.

“They should be mindful of the risks they place themselves and members of the Fiji Police Force deployed to rescue them [in] when there is a mishap.”

Soko reiterated that people needed to stay home so police could assist with moving Fijians into evacuation centres who needed to be helped.

The NDMO said there are currently around 7600 people occupying 204 evacuation centres around the country.

Cyclone Ana moved to the south of Viti Levu and had moved near the island of Kadavu.

Police search for missing three year old

Police search for missing three year old Photo: Fiji NDMO/Police

Sometimes when a business is growing, it needs a little help.

Right now Kaniva News provides a free, politically independent, bilingual news service for readers around the world that is absolutely unique. We are the largest New Zealand-based Tongan news service, and our stories reach Tongans  wherever they are round the world. But as we grow, there are increased demands on Kaniva News for translation into Tongan on our social media accounts and for the costs associated with expansion. We believe it is important for Tongans to have their own voice and for Tongans to preserve their language, customs and heritage. That is something to which we are strongly committed. That’s why we are asking you to consider sponsoring our work and helping to preserve a uniquely Tongan point of view for our readers and listeners.

Latest news

Related news