Trial of three men accused of murdering Auckland woman aborted

By 1news.co.nz

The trial of three men accused of murdering 53-year old Meliame Fisi’ihoi has been aborted due to a “range of issues”.

Meliame Fisi’ihoi. Photo/Facebook
High Court at Auckland (file picture).
High Court at Auckland (file picture). (Source: istock.com)

Falala Iongi, Viliami Mounga He Ofa Iongi, and Manu Hori Iongi are accused of murdering the Auckland grandmother on January 15, 2020.

Falala and Viliami also face charges of wounding with intent to injure and reckless discharge of a firearm relating to a prior incident.

That involved the deceased’s son, Stephen Fisi’ihioi, and another man on December 4, 2019.

All accused denied the charges.

On Tuesday morning at the High Court at Auckland, Justice Grant Powell told the jury the trial had been aborted due to a “range of issues”.

What those are cannot be reported at this stage.

“I’m not able to go into the reasons for it but this decision was not made lightly but … I concluded there was no alternative,” said Justice Powell.

Sometimes when a business is growing, it needs a little help.

Right now Kaniva News provides a free, politically independent, bilingual news service for readers around the world that is absolutely unique. We are the largest New Zealand-based Tongan news service, and our stories reach Tongans  wherever they are round the world. But as we grow, there are increased demands on Kaniva News for translation into Tongan on our social media accounts and for the costs associated with expansion. We believe it is important for Tongans to have their own voice and for Tongans to preserve their language, customs and heritage. That is something to which we are strongly committed. That’s why we are asking you to consider sponsoring our work and helping to preserve a uniquely Tongan point of view for our readers and listeners.

Latest news

Related news